Before I start, I just want to say, chain emails are nicht gut. Especially the ones of the religious kind.
1. Believe it or not, but atheists CAN actually be good people.
If you need religion to be a good person, then clearly, you're not the good, and strangely, religion is. Although, I guess if religion is what it takes to have more good people in the world, then so be it. Dickheads are not fun.
2. Atheists do NOT worship satan.
Atheists simply believe that there is no mystical, all knowing, omnipotent ruling power and that's that. Just because they do not worship 'God' does not mean that they worship the opposing "power" either. Atheists don't worship anything - not even science, despite what most will tell you.
3. There is no such thing as a religious child. Children are ignorant beings, and will believe any kind of shit you feed them. In primary and middle school we are made to try every subject before making decisions upon which fields we are interested in, or like or dislike, to further study in senior. Why is it not the same for religion? Why can we not all be educated from a third person standpoint - ie. not someone who's wanting to believe and not someone who's trying to convince - about all kinds of religious views, including Agnosticism and Atheism? Only then can we truly make an informed choice as to what kind of people we want to be.
4. The aforementioned chain email reads "[It is] Funny how we believe what the newspapers say, but question what the Bible says." -- Really? ... Really? This sentence leaves me lost for words. Ok but here they come - Really? You actually find that funny? Let me ask you: Do YOU question the news you read everyday? Isn't it therefore sinful to follow the word of the Bible aaand to believe the morning newspaper? Following your logic, it almost seems like you're suggesting that religious people shouldn't read or believe the newspaper.
What reason would the newspapers have to publish false truths? Do you actually think that the publishing companies are out to get us, and want to convert us all their new religion, Newspaperism, so we can follow the word of the Newspaper, live and quote Sports section, Page 10, Articles 6 to 8 - "And so we say, Matthew Johns is a dickhead!" Which is so not true, anyway.
Unless you're in North Korea, what is published in the media isn't controlled. North Koreans are probably the only people who should believe the bible over the media. This might surprise you, but the events that occur in newspapers are pretty damn recent, as opposed to being passed down through hearsay from generation to generation through oh I don't know... 21+ hundered years.
5. I will believe anything I want, thank you very much. With a scientific point of view, I am very, very happy to be proven wrong and quickly jump onto your religion bandwagon, but until that day comes, I will live my life the way I want, and you're not going to tell me otherwise.
6. Comic Sans, rainbow coloured paragraphs and using the word 'funny' to begin every second one of said colourful paragraphs really isn't the best way to spread the word of God. Correct grammar would help, and general sense-making would be nice too.
I am not making an attack on religion; simply defending Atheism and perhaps pointing out some minor flaws of religion in doing so. I am not anti-religion. I am simply pro-nonreligion. There's a difference.
If you wish for me to forward you this chain email, just leave me your address and I'll get back to you.
Hate away now. Go on.
Labels: atheism, circulating email, religion