<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d9134961212498838103\x26blogName\x3dThe+Door+was+The+Way\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://vivsmiles.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://vivsmiles.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-778307593440081808', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Eat Some Philosphy, Yes?

For the past couple of weeks, my sleeping patterns have been completely out of whack and notoriously inconvienient for my schooling life. However, this morning, for no apparent reason, I woke at 4:30, and I wanted to take advantage of this blissful lonliness.

Face unwashed, stomach empty and my hair done up in a crude ponytail, I decided that I would take my dog and me somewhere that would be, for the moment, completely untouched by human life: my driveway.

No matter how far I had looked, the human world was dead to me. What I could see, however, were snippets of what civilisation had created for itself, without any sort of civilisation in it at all. All I could hear were my dog's panting, the birds chirping away, and the crickets buzzing as they marked the approaching summer.

I thought about all the trees that once stood where I was sitting, and then I observed all the ones which humans had planted. It occured to me at that moment, that nobody, not even I, had ever seen, or would ever get to see exactly the same thing as what I saw then and there - creatures will never cease growing and dying; birds will not ever take the same flight path; cars will never be parked in the exact same place.

It was then I realised, it is not freedom of choice or intelligience that labels humans above other life forms, but rather, change, while maintaining a constant that is the underlying principle of survival. Creation in its ultimate wisdom, created a matrix of infinite possiblities which would keep the world moving forward.

Humans may never experience physical evolution, but what we ignore in our day to day lives, is the greatest evolution of all: the evolution of the mind. I don't think many of you could disagree with me if I made the point, now, that the "human" of 2008 is a very different "human" from 1908.

It is not just the knowlege that we have gained over the years that distinguishes us, but is the way in which we view the world, and the perspectives we take to view everyday situations that keeps changing, and is what makes humans, human.

She and I sat there for what felt like an eternity.

I returned to the house, and checked the time. I had been out there for a mere thirteen minutes.

Labels: , , , , , ,

comment HERE.





i am

vivien, and i ask you to convince me of otherwise.

i'd like to be

a musician
a scientist
a thinker
a photographer
a time traveler
under the sea,
in an octopus' garden
in the shade.

archives